Saturday, February 7, 2015

Review: The Dollop Book of Frosting

It's past time for my next book review!

The Dollop Book of Frosting: Sweet and Savory Icings, Spreads, Meringues, and Ganaches for Dessert and Beyond
by Heather "Cupcakes" Saffer


Four stars


OK, to start with, I'm going to automatically like anyone whose nickname is "Cupcakes." They are my favorite food, no exaggeration. I'm not a big fan of cake, but I never met a cupcake I didn't like. The author of this incredibly creative book was the winner of Food Network's Cupcake Wars, which I did not watch because I don't have cable. Sorry!

I ordered this book from my local library based on the title alone. Everyone knows that the best part of any cupcake (or cake) is the frosting- everyone except my best friend (I eat the frosting, she eats the cake! It's a match made in heaven.) I was pretty excited to see that the library had purchased a book filled solely (I thought) with frosting recipes. You may think that such a book wouldn't have much to offer, but I knew better! And I definitely wasn't disappointed by this book.

The Dollop Book of Frosting offers much more than everyday, run-of-the-mill frosting recipes. We start with basics like chocolate, vanilla, and peanut butter (everyone should be able to make basic frosting- it's so simple and tastes much better than the stuff from the can!) and progress to more inventive dessert toppers, like s'mores, margarita, and "coffee toffee ganache." As if that wasn't enough, Saffer also presents us with savory options- Brie frosting! Tahini currant frosting! Cashew sriracha frosting! Even better, each frosting recipe is paired with a "receptacle" recipe, for lack of a better word. These aren't limited to cupcakes, though. We get waffles, pancakes, crackers, cookies, wafers, trifles, sundaes...the list goes on and on. Yet despite the insanely wide array of combinations and flavors, the book never feels overwhelming or over-complicated. It's actually rather small: a bit shorter than your average kitchen tome, and just over 150 pages. I also appreciate the fact that the recipes are short. Very few take up more than a single page! Top that all off with gorgeous, vibrantly colored photography- the frosting on the cake.

I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who likes to bake and wants to add some new recipes to their repertoire. I personally think it's very handy to keep recipes for different toppings- if you've got a base that you love, it can be fun to change it up with something new! I'm so glad I read this book, and will be looking into purchasing it.

To learn more or to purchase this book, click here.

1 comment:

  1. As a person who loves icing and frosting (who doesn't?), this sounds intriguing :)

    ReplyDelete